Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Moment...

I want to take a moment today to honor the memory of the greatest man I ever knew.  My grandfather passed away last week in a small town in southern Arkansas.  I called him Papaw all my life.  He was born in a small house in the hills of Pike County and lived 80 years on this earth until he was called home.  He loved one woman till the day he died, and was the perfect example to his 4 children, 11 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.  He worked hard for what he had and I can't remember ever hearing him say anything bad about anyone in my 34 years.  As I drove home from work today I heard the song "Small Town Southern Man" by Alan Jackson on the radio and as I listened to the words of the song I thought to myself...that song is about my papaw.  I will miss you, Papaw, till the day that I get to heaven where I know you are waiting for me.

And he bowed his head to Jesus
And he stood for Uncle Sam
And he only loved one woman
(He) was always proud of what he had
He said his greatest contribution
Is the ones you leave behind
Raised on the ways and gentle kindness
Of a small town Southern man

Callous hands told the story
For this small town Southern man
He gave it all to keep it all together
And keep his family on his land
Like his daddy, years wore out his body
Made it hard just to walk and stand
You can break the back
But you can't break the spirit
Of a small town Southern man

Finally death came callin'
For this small town Southern man
He said it's alright 'cause I see angels
And they got me by the hand
Don't you cry, and don't you worry
I'm blessed, and I know I am
'Cause God has a place in Heaven
For a small town Southern man

No comments:

Post a Comment